View Single Post
Old 02-22-2005, 05:28 PM   #1
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Announcing RSS-to-Memo

I've been playing around with lots of RSS, RDF, and Atom code lately in a stealth project (major annoucement soon, Alexander has already seen some of the project), and in testing, I came up with some interesting bits of Perl that I think others will find useful.

So in that vein, attached is a small perl script that will take a feed (specified by you) and convert it to a MemoDB record that you can read in MemoPad on your Palm device.

It works like this:
Code:
./rss-to-memo --name Plucker --feed http://www.plkr.org/rss.pl
It will either append or create anew, MemoDB.pdb, with the feed of your choice as a record in MemoPad.

It requires a few non-core Perl modules, so you'll have to install those. To do that, just use the following syntax:
Code:
perl -MCPAN -e 'install "Getopt::Long"'
The Palm-specific modules (Palm::PDB and Palm::Memo) can be found at the Coldsync homepage. I cooked this up quick, but I could also use the Perl bindings in pilot-link, but I decided not to, because it requires a bit more work to get the pilot-link Perl bindings installed on most systems.

Simple, and all in 33 lines of code!
Attached Files
File Type: txt rss-to-memo.pl.txt (3.0 KB, 171 views)

Last edited by hacker; 02-22-2005 at 05:53 PM.