View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 06:35 AM   #29
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I'm in a similar boat. I now have an iPad 2 to add to my Kindle. And my parents now have a second Kindle for their setup. So certainly I can understand the "want"
It is always good when the persion who has the appropriate skills also has the 'want'

Quote:
Has the idea progressed? No. I did raise the issue in the developer forums quite a while back on a thread there, when at the time there was a discussion on creating unique library and device ids. However the verdict was that significant areas of Calibre would need to be rewritten to cater for device independent settings.
I understand that - which was why I was thinking of doing everything inside the plugin in the short/medium term.

Quote:
I guess another possible implementation that comes to mind is to ask chaley (if there isn't already) to add some signals in which would allow this plugin to effectively replicate what "news" syncing does, but in my own independent sync lists. So in other words, to stop (ab)using the single news sync list, and instead maintain my own independent lists. I think I would just need the hooks in place with an opportunity to identify the device and send books to it from my plugin matching list if any. If chaley doesn't see my post here I will ask the question in the development forums. It would have one significant additional advantage - people who want the "delete after sync" option turned on for their news could do so without worrying about their books being deleted!
If you maintained your own lists independently of the news mechanism then this is likely to be more flexible. As to getting the news mechanism enhanced slightly to allow you to use it better that is definitely worth asking for as it might be an easy change.
Quote:
As for how the adding would work if that was in place, as you have indicated there are a couple of options I can think of. The easiest would be to just force the user each time to specify which device list to add it to. A more complex approach would be to treat it a bit like save to disk or sending via email does, where there is a menu option for your "default", and an additional menu item with a submenu of all the devices. Having a third menu to switch your default device would then give you a flexible enough combo I think?
I was think that you might have the option to set a 'default' device and this is the one that would be used if you simply hit the 'Sync' button. If no default is set you would prompt for the device (assuming there is more than one). The drop down menu could offer options like:
- "Add to Specific Sync list"
- "Add to Default Sync list"
- "View Specific sync list"
- "View default sync list"
- "Set Default" (dialog could also allow for clearing default),
- "Set New Device" (and allow for deleting via same dialog),
- "Sync to Specific Device".
You could probably come up with better wording and combinations if you are actually trying to implement this. As you now also have multiple devices basing the list on your needs is likely to be the best initial stab at appropriate entries. You mentioned already having 3 to cater for so that is definitely enough to give any enhancment along these lines a good workout.

I would think this menu approach would be easier that trying to simulate the other Send options. Having said that if in theory you allowed for the "Disk, "Folder" and "iTunes" as conceptual devices that could be on the list maybe the whole approach could be integrated across methods. This might make it easier to later subsume the current methods into a global sync approach.

Quote:
As for your last suggestion - yes a sync now option could be added. Though I would ask if you have a device connected why would you not just use the "send to device" option and use book sync at all?
I have found that a sync is quite an expensive operation on my system. If I am expecting a long calibre session of adding books I would prefer to use the Sync plugin to add them as I come across them, and then use a single operation to actually get them all synced in a single operation. Also from a workflow perspective it much esier to accustom oneself to using the Sync plugin (I may be wanting to queue books for a device that is not the one plugged in) as the way of queuing books and separate it from the actual syncing option.

I guess this all raises the question of whether there should be any automated sync at all or whether it should always be triggered by user action. With a single device having it automatic is nicest, but with multiple devices one wants some control unless you can find a way to associate a specific list with a particular device. I guess the latter might be possible now as Calibre seems to store a file on the device that has a unique ID in it - but I do not know if that information becomes available when a device is attached?