View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 02:08 PM   #9153
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Last week I got back to and finished Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth (concept & Story by Apostolos Doxiadis and Christos H. Papadimitriou, Script by Apostolos Doxiadis, Art by Alecos Papadatos, Color by Annie Di Donna).
Ooh, I loved that when I read it from the library a couple of years ago. Keep meaning to get my own copy, and I've got a discount coupon for Chapters that I have to use up with a minimum requirement amount, so it's going on the list.

If you like "thinky" history-based comics, you might possibly like some of Jim Ottaviani's collaborative science-history graphic novels, especially Fallout: J. Robert Oppenheimer, Leo Szilard, and the Political Science of the Atomic Bomb, Suspended in Language: Niels Bohr's life, discoveries, and the century he shaped, and Bone Sharps, Cowboys, and Thunder Lizards, which is much, much more "lite", but just plain fun about the early feud over dinosaur discoveries.

They're not nearly as serious or in-depth as Logicomix, but still good, informative reads. More info and samples on the GT Labs website, if anyone's interested. There is a 2-part bande dessinée which is about as deep and informative as Logicomix about chemist Fritz Haber and the changing role of invention and social grouping near turn-of-the-century Germany, but it's in French and I can't remember the author's name (and the library catalogue is not helping; I'd have to go over and check the shelves).

As for me, read Michael Flynn's novella The Forest of Time which was a pretty good alternate history/problems of time-travel tale which I rather liked. It turns out I already have a paper copy of this in my old used Gardner Dozois' Fifth Annual Year's Best Science Fiction; however, I've either never read this story, or read it so long ago that I've forgotten it entirely.

This was free from the Phoenix Pick Free Book of the Month promotion sometime last year, and I read it to decide whether or not to get the full story collection, which is 50% off (along with all their other e-books) when buying directly from the publisher's website this month using the coupon code in their newsletter (also posted in the Deals forum, search for this month's free pick "Arm of the Stone" to see the coupon for it and the 50% off sale).

The answer to that is definitely "yes", and I'll be quite happy to spend, as Flynn includes commentary after each of the stories on why he wrote them and the choices he made in writing them. I love that sort of stuff, and definitely worth spending on good DRM-free backlist sf/fantasy reprints.

Also, his filksong "There's a Bimbo on the Cover of My Book!" (which you can read in the portion provided by the Kindle sampling mechanism) is itself alone worth the price of entry. It's just so applicable to so much sf/fantasy cover art.*

Now on to evaluate what else I might want from PPick's other backlist authors who've provided a freebie and have more reprint works for sale.

* Y HELO THAR, BAEN! Mind you, I could live with green scaly dragons on the cover that have nothing to do with the book itself. And one of their Andre Norton reprints managed to incorporate dragons and rocketships, if I recall correctly. Probably needed more rayguns, though.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote