View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 11:15 PM   #4
Utahcowboy
Connoisseur
Utahcowboy is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen3
I don't mean to be a pessimist here, but I think there is some validity in the article. I am not saying that books will all-of-the-sudden stop being printed and sold, but ebooks are beginning to make quite a face. Maybe I am a little bit biased though, I have large vision problems so I already rely heavily on technology to compensate, so I have already almost entirely abandoned the traditional book for its electronic counterpart. But I will say that there is just something about the feel of a book that I don't think will ever go away.

I was reading a sci-fi novel called "Rainbows End" and it discussed a near future in which there were no more books in active print by publishers. I don't see that happening in the next 10 or even 15 years, but I think it will happen eventually.

I think a good option would be to have a code printed in every traditional book that is bought that would allow you to get a free copy of the same book in electronic format. I see nothing wrong with this since the book has already been purchased. Then a consumer would have a choice. Perhaps they like to have a traditional book in front of them while they relax in an armchair or their bed at night relaxing, but when they travel they just don't have the space to take the book along with them, so they load the electronic copy on to their ebook reader to take with them. I think this would be ideal and I think publishers should take this idea into consideration.
Utahcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote