Originally Posted by ATDrake
I think a hanging indent is best handled by using a negative text-indent value on the containing block.
Doesn't work, I tried it.
- text-indent is defined in terms of :first-line.
- :first-line means the first line of a block box.
= to get text-indent to work, you need one block box per line
=> once you've got block boxes, <br> at the end is going to leave blank lines, which you need to nullify somehow.
- you either have to rely on this undefined "a single <br> at the end of a block box has no effect on layout, unless the block box is a P element"
- or you have to do something even crazier like fixing the line-height and then setting a negative margin-top on br+span.
- which is why I think I prefer using inline boxes with negative margins.