View Single Post
Old 02-17-2008, 12:07 AM   #19
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Those books you bought should work fine in DE. It is a spin off from the eBook functionality in Acrobat Reader.Dale
My books work fine - I bought them long before Adobe Digital Editions was introduced and I had activated and transferred them to a new computer with no problem. But if you buy books and open them up in DE, then you will only be able to use them on the computer you opened the books on - and you will only be able to open them and read them in Adobe's extremely limited Digital Editions software. I have read many threads on Adobe's website from users who are very unhappy with DE because they are unable to transfer and open their books on new computers.

I own Adobe Acrobat 7.0 and regularly check PDF books out of a library. I have never had a problem reading library books on my computer or transferring them to read on my pocket pc until recently. Then one day I checked a couple of books out of the library and Digital Editions software was automatically installed on my computer without my knowing it. When I opened up the library books, they opened up in DE not Adobe Acrobat. After that I could not open those books up in Adobe Acrobat, could not transfer them to my pocket pc to read....I had to read the books on my computer in DE, which looks nice but is a really lousy application (in my opinion). Once I figured out what had happened, I deleted DE from my computer, changed the file association back to Adobe Acrobat. I will NEVER use DE again and will avoid DRM PDF books at all costs. My main objection is that this software was installed to my computer, without my knowledge. This software messed up my ability to read the books in the way I was accustomed and preferred to read them. I'm just relieved that I had only checked them out of the library and had not purchased them because if I had purchased them, I would still be limited to only reading them in DE and I would not be able to read them in Adobe Acrobat nor on my pocket pc.

Last edited by ProfJulie; 02-17-2008 at 12:14 AM.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote