View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #8947
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1 & BlackBerry PlayBook
I read the Bast mysteries several years ago from the library and they were pretty nice. Not great, but competently written with a few fun moments. If you'd like to try a short story, Rosemary Edghill put one up for free over at her Dreamwidth journal: A Winter's Tale.

As for me, finished a slowly on-going reread of Lois McMaster Bujold's The Curse of Chalion, which I already owned in English, French, and now ePub which I picked up on sale at Kobo last year. Marvelous (or maybe I should say "miraculous"?) as always, and mostly typo-free, except for one section well into the book where for some bizarre reason, the beginnings of sentences get de-capitalized.

Also finished in paper from the library Elizabeth Peters' Street of the Five Moons, 2nd in the Vicky Bliss mystery series.

While the 1st in the series started off pretty slow and took a while to build, this one gets right into the action with a murder, some maybe stolen jewels, an abduction, a personal squabble, a family squabble, a dungeon stay, another murder, another abduction, more maybe stolen jewels, all in between uncovering a ring of very specialized art thieves.

Like the first book, this was almost a non-murder mystery, with a refreshingly low body count which mostly moved the focus to what was going on and which one of the many candidates dunnit, as Vicky tries to figure out which one of the charmingly probably-larcenous people (besides the obvious one who seems to be set up as her future recurring nemesis) she's staying with as a houseguest is the mastermind.

I very nearly figured this one out a scant paragraph before she did, but that turned out to be a red herring and the prime candidate demoted to a mere henchperson. Overall, lots of fun, even if the pace felt a bit rushed in comparison to the rather slow 1st book, and I hope the rest of the series finds a more measured balance.

Recommended for people who like adventure-filled "to catch a thief"-type stories involving museum-quality art pieces and a healthy dose of rival bickering.
ATDrake is online now   Reply With Quote