View Single Post
Old 04-15-2011, 10:42 AM   #80
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShooterMcGee View Post
I have had that before with other businesses, and it is very aggrivating. Hi, did you even read my email?!
Ever deal with Dell? *shudder* I've had the misfortune. They apparently have a script to respond to keywords in your email and send you form letters, or have humans who do the exact same thing. You explain your situation: "I have this device. For these reasons, I cannot give you that number." Their response: "Send us that number. You will find it there." (on a device you don't actually have) And so on, through multiple emails, all of them written by morons. They managed, over a period of a week, to turn me from a neutral consumer to someone rabidly anti-Dell who has discouraged three other people (friends and relatives) from buying collectively thousands of dollars of hardware from them, and told the full story to dozens of people, at least some of whom probably decided not to deal with Dell as a result. A simple "no, we can't do that" (specifically, not letting me have a driver unless I'd bought a complete system directly from Dell) would have been sufficient. Instead, there were four phone calls and over a week of email. (of course, most companies just have a driver download section on their websites in the first place)

My emails to Dell were clear and unambiguous. They didn't read them anyway. There's some room for misinterpretation in the OP's emails, and the "no, don't cancel the card, my mother will expect two birthday presents" one was sent after they'd already canceled it. I'm sure they weren't expecting what she actually wanted -- she wanted to pay for one card and receive two -- so they saw what they usually got, someone who accidentally ordered two of something and wanted to cancel one. They could have read it a bit better, yeah ... but that's not at all surprising, since most CSR's only seem to be able to respond to things they see regularly, not anything unusual. And certainly not anything downright strange, like someone expecting to be given a free gift card because of an error which was almost certainly theirs.

And then there's AT&T, who won't take "die in a fire" for an answer. (that being my latest, after "no", "please do not call me again", and "stop freaking calling me!") Oh, is there ever AT&T.

Then there's the famous chain restaurant where the customer service (and the manager trainee's attitude) was so bad, I wound up talking to the regional operations director. It takes a fair bit of mad for me to not only email but later call a corporate office, especially over a period of a week. (it turned out the actual restaurant manager was in the hospital for emergency surgery!) He was a wonderful person and resolved the issue, but the original idiot isn't qualified to bus tables, let alone deal with angry customers staring in disbelief at remarkably botched meals.

And I ought to put AT&T on the list again just because I despise them so much, and I can't get them to stop calling me. ("I will never do business with you, so you're wasting your time" does not work either)

I wish Dell, the place with the manager trainee problem, or AT&T had customer service as good as Kobo. Yeah, Kobo missed realizing that what she wanted was patently ridiculous, but they tried to give her what they thought she wanted, and they offered her a free book by way of an apology. Not that I'd take anything free from Dell or AT&T -- it would probably have cooties.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
and isn't it amazing how the answer comes back, occasionally apologetic -
Not if they're Dell. Then they just send some other random form letter, or go to some other random part of their script, which seemingly has little to do with the actual content of your email. It's truly remarkable.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote