View Single Post
Old 04-13-2011, 08:00 AM   #17
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.
 
AlexBell's Avatar
 
Posts: 2,340
Karma: 3950000
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Launceston, Tasmania
Device: Kindle3, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS T3, Nexus 7, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldolse View Post
I think your best approach is to do this:
  1. Convert to Mobi using Calibre
  2. Use the utilities on the mobi subforum - I believe it's mobiunpack, to convert the mobi to Mobipocket Creator's native format.
  3. Do your final edits using Mobipocket Creator.

You should be able to get blockquotes working if you follow the steps I outlined before, they're working for me. A bugfix just went in for scenarios where the 'ignore margins' setting is enabled, but it works fine without ignore margins today.

Superscript may be a bug, I don't know how you've defined your css for that, but in general mobi doesn't appear to allow much in the way of formatting superscript. Check this bug for more details:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/758667

If you've defined it in epub css matching those parameters then a fix will likely be in the next release.

The font issue is most likely a bug, but we'll need the details on how you defined it in the CSS.
Thanks so much for your continuing help, Idolse. I really appreciate it, and apologise for my sometimes crabby responses.

I've just tried a suggestion from another thread, which was to convert the original Word doc to rtf and then convert that to mobi with calibre. Didn't work - the left margin of the blockquotes was far too big and the there was no right indent. And although the end note numbers were not pushed too high they were all [1] and didn't work anyway.

So I'll certainly look at your three step suggestion above. But shouldn't there be a fourth step - to pack the file back into mobi format?

So far as blockquotes are concerned: I have the text within <p></p> tags. Will the process you've mention remove those tags, or will I have to do it manually? And if I remove the tags how do I separate the text into paragraphs? Some of the quotes in the book go on for a page or two with many paragraphs.

No, I don't think the 'superscript' problem is a bug for calibre, apart from not using my CSS. I have this class in the stylesheet:
.fn { font-size: 67%; vertical-align: text-top; } /* With thanks to Weatherwax */

and this markup in the XHTML:
<span class="fn" id="C1F1"><a href="Endmatter.html#C1N1">[1]</a></span>

<p id="C1N1"><a href="Ch01.html#C1F1">[1]</a> Text of endnote</p>

C1F1 is the id of the number in the text of the book, and C1N1 is the location of the end note. The user will see a number with a grey background in the text, and when he or she selects that it brings up the endnote. The same number has a grey background in the endnote file, and when it is selected it takes the reader back to the text. I know it's cumbersome, and would be glad to hear of a simpler method.

I'm really not fussed about the font, except as another example of calibre using its own rules and not my stylesheet. But as I wrote in another post perhaps I'm asking calibre to do something it wasn't designed for.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote