View Single Post
Old 04-12-2011, 10:14 AM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by richvalle
Wow... he wrote more! Have you read them? Any good? I don't know... it would be weird to go back and read more. I've read the first 6 several times and it's kind of finished in my mind.
I've only read the first two books of the "Last Chronicles," and to be honest... no, I haven't been all that impressed so far. I'm going to wait until the series is complete and read it straight through instead of dilly-dallying around with 4-5 year installments. Ultimately, White Gold Wielder's ending was very solid (not to mention final) and this series should have stayed "complete."

Quote:
I read one of his other fantasy series... something with mirrors (checks Amazon...) "The Mirror of Her Dreams, the dazzling first volume of Mordant’s Need". He sure has a thing for complicated, flawed main characters. Very interesting magic system unlike any other I've seen.
Donaldson will never be accused of simple, straight-forward storylines. He seems to love convoluted (and politically motivated) plots. So do I, but Mordant's need didn't really make the "fantastic" cut on my personal rankings.

Quote:
I started his sci-fi series The Gap and that just got to weird for me.
The Gap Cycle is my favorite work by Donaldson and I consider it to be his finest writing to date. In fact, I wish he would have returned to hard sci-fi instead of resurrecting the Thomas Covenant series--that in my eyes, had already been put to bed, tucked in, and kissed lovingly on the forehead.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote