Thread: PRS-650 Optimize PDF
View Single Post
Old 04-11-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
UpSpin
Enthusiast
UpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitUpSpin with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Sony PRS-650
Optimize PDF

As I'm a science student most of my books or articles are in PDF thus I'm in the search of a good way to view PDF files on the eReader. Yep, on the Sony eReader because I need the eInk display.

At the moment I try to figure out how to properly read original and scanned physics books.
Using reflow doesn't work that good, it just doesn't handle equations well.

My main problem is to find the right page size, because the Sony eReader has the odd behavior to add grey margins to not optimal sized books instead of allowing to pan or so.

Well, after a lot of trial and error I figured some working measurements which get displayed with a 1:1 scale (sadly it's not a a pixel precise size).

Width: 89,4 mm
Height: 115,4 mm

Right now I test a scanned book, used Acrobat OCR ClearScan and after that resized the page and set the right page size with cropping. sample.pdf It works pretty well and in landscape mode it's nicely readable. And if I can't read an equation, then I can zoom in and pan to the equation:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-4-12_3.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	69809Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-4-12_1.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	69808Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-4-12_2.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	69807Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-4-12_4.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	69811

So how do others read PDF files on their eReader? Some tips some tricks? I haven't found that useful information yet, most recommend a tablet without a sunlight readable display, useless for me.

It's a bit sad that the integrated PDF reader has so few options. Is it possible to install alternative PDF readers just like the apps which got installed with PRS+?
UpSpin is offline   Reply With Quote