View Single Post
Old 04-08-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Something that the OP might consider is the new Asus 12" Win7 tablet the Eee 121 that runs a full version of Win7 Home. It's in the same price range, at least here in the US, at about $1000-$1200. So far I haven't seen any concrete reviews on this one but it's on my short list just because it is a larger screen and at 16:10 it's better screen height wise in landsacpe than a 16:9. It reads as a small difference in the ratio but really it is better.

http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=QhWKR7Fmv4jDLbBY

The battery life is relatively dismal by today's standards for a tablet, not much better than the Mobi One offering at about 4hrs, but it is a larger screen and maybe a bit more capable CPU using the Dual-Core i5 470um vs the Mobi One's Atom 1.6ghz but I have not paid a ton of attention to CPU specs for a while and really don't know which models give the best bang for the buck.

At least it's a comparable platform with the Mobi One offering. A shame one the screen for the Mobi One being 16:9 as I mentioned before that is just a bit too wide screen for a tablet, or laptop for that matter and how I would be using the device.

I am really intrigued by the ability to run a full version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking on a 12" slate to dictate my notes while I work then port them over to the primary workstation for correction then integrate in the database. But based on playing with Dragon NS on the Touch 4 it is darned accurate these days and that was just a free web based version. It's a solid alternative for me over a keyboard as my dictating won't bother anyone else as it's just me.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote