View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
smallhagrid
Hillbilly
smallhagrid knows that there *is* no spoonsmallhagrid knows that there *is* no spoonsmallhagrid knows that there *is* no spoonsmallhagrid knows that there *is* no spoonsmallhagrid knows that there *is* no spoonsmallhagrid knows that there *is* no spoonsmallhagrid knows that there *is* no spoonsmallhagrid knows that there *is* no spoonsmallhagrid knows that there *is* no spoonsmallhagrid knows that there *is* no spoonsmallhagrid knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: EZReader
Exclamation Thanks, and...

Sure thing Ken, except:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
What would be a more "sane" approach is to flash to the firmware made for the make and model that you have.
Been there/done ALL that - multiple times, with guidance from Ectaco as well.
Posted here a bunch of times asking for help too.
As I stated above, a couple of smart/talented FW 'guru' types from here had volunteered to assist with a change, but then they sort of vanished and I heard no more about it.

Sure enough:
Quote:
There is a sequence for the regular jetBook upgrades and you may need to flash to an earlier one, before you flash to the current one. The "sticky" at the top of this forum should have all that you need.
If you can get to the diagnostic screen, you should reflash the NOR memory and Restore to Factory Settings, then do your firmware updates.
And I have EVERY single FW update from Ectaco as well as a couple of others; but nothing worked.
The JB (not LITE) is not bricked, it is just gone nutty and cannot be used as a result.

Here's the rough outline:
1st JB - defective, exchanged w/ vendor.
2nd JB - OK, but pre-PDF ability.

I wanted the nice Foxit PDF display/reflow added, so tried the FW updates.
BooHooHoo. It was never OK after that and now it cannot go back to the original/old FW.

Theory:
It is a couple of years old by now and came with FW 0.33G (or was that B, I'd have to re-visit my posts to be 100% sure...)

It seems as if the older generation hardware may NOT be usable with newer FW-> BUT, it is a one-way process as made by Ectaco and cannot be done in reverse to re-attain older FW.

THAT is what I was hoping to get help with originally, but an alternate vendor's FW may be even a better solution if Ectaco's cannot be reversed.

Here are some related postings:

I have been around the block, and I am one who does his homework dilligently, so my questions are usually not too foolish or ill-considered.

Thanks !
smallhagrid is offline   Reply With Quote