View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
kjk:

I looked at your LogMeIn and it looks pretty good. I did also find a video to show how Screens works and from it as well as some other reading I would be perfectly happy. I still haven't visited the iTunes App store though just to see where things are today as this video is a year or so old.

If there this is how it worked on the original iPad, seems this is actually a pretty workable solution if I decide to go the iPad 2 direction. I'm betting that the battery life is really short, maybe 4hrs on a new device when using a VNC full on? I did not consider battery life until just this second. How do you find the battery life using your VNC client? Or don't you use it long enough for it to matter? I suppose one could do a connect, work, disconnect, reconnect as needed and repeat. That could help battery life I suppose as long as the time between connections is long enough to justify the added power drain to re-establish the connection? Maybe?

Sorry for the shotgun look at this, but really I have used the fact I couldn't run my business apps via the slate as my primary reason not to buy one. Now it seems I am running out of excuses. The problem with that is if I get one, then everyone in the house will need one as well because suddenly their reader won't be good enough. sigh, maybe I'll just not mention this for now, at least until the iPad 3. But a new toy sounds super fun right this minute!

Back to being serious I was worried about lag on the display but based on that video, it looks to be an order of magnitude better than on my PDAs and close enough to what I get on my laptop when connected to one of my desktops via whatever VNC I am running right now, heck I don't even remember. Oh, on this laptop it's RealVNC which runs fine and I think that is the same server running on both desktop systems. But any client will do for the connection. I do really like the look of how the Screens VNC runs, especially that it supports gestures and multi-touch. For $25 or so it's not a bad deal at all. More in the ballpark than what must be an amazing app in the $800 Teamviewer program. For that it had better do things to the user that nobody has ever done before for 800-bones!
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote