I have managed to get the Kindle 3.1 software to run on a Kindle 2. Unlike what I expected, the software runs fine with no slowdowns (it is slower then the K3, but on 2.5.8, it is also slower). I've tested the internet browser, pdf reader, audiobook reader, etc. Everything works just as it does on the Kindle 3.
There are TWO things you can do to help test.
If you have a broken/unwanted Kindle that you can donate for science, PM me. I'm looking for K2i, DX, DXi, DXGs.
You can also help beta test the packages. Installation directions are found in README.txt
. Recovery directions are also in there. With my custom kernel, you do not need TTL access to recover from most errors. This also makes your Kindle mostly brick-proof. Please post the logs found in the output folder after you use this even if everything went well.
YOU MUST PROVIDE ME WITH LOGS IF YOU WANT HELP/SUPPORT, OTHERWISE I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S WRONG!!!
(sorry about the annoying text, but NOBODY seems to understand this fact.)
Kindle 2 US
Kindle 2 International
Kindle DX US
I need someone to test Kindle DX international.
-Sound fuzzy sometimes
-Active content doesn't work
-Same as beta 4, just removed the beta.
-Better logging, all output redirected to log
-Better "save old files" method. Using the rsync --delete option instead of taring up old files and copying them back. Should save some time.
-Using rsync instead of cp for better memory management and speedups in the update maker
-Fixed no 3G bug on DX
-Fixed no USB bug on DX
-Fixed web browser on DX
-Removed "NO_TTS" option, no longer needed
-New package generator, allows easy extendibility
-Factory reset on first boot
-Fixed some bugs