View Single Post
Old 03-30-2011, 10:11 PM   #16
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
of course I do not wish you disturbed sleep, Nyssa (at least not in that way - there are many more enjoyable ways for that)

But I'll give you my own ignorance as an example how the statement above was meant
having no pleasure in endless variations of:
  • patriotic $hero saves the world again
  • successfully beating the crap out of
  • hippie/gay/green/whatever communist $aliens
  • by his superiour use of $techbabble shiny weaponry
  • built by his equally patriotic $nerdfriend in his garage/cellar (because the evil gov cut the money for military research)

I avoided everything labeled mil-SF for years.
Sadly this seems the biggest label attached to the Vorkosigan Saga.

If it were not a lot of recommendations here pointing toother - far more important aspects of the plots background and characters - I'd still be ignoring a great stack of wonderful books...
Yes, tags/labels can be very annoying, misleading and just plain wrong! However, if one really has no idea as to the nature of the story, they really are a necessary evil. I do also find proper genre tags helpful when giving recommendations, or choosing what to read next.

I'll agree with you, though, I have no idea what in the world "[*]successfully beating the crap out of " is supposed to tell you.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote