View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
rheostaticsfan
Zealot
rheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enoughrheostaticsfan will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle, iOS, Blackberry, Sony DPT (pdfs)
Usage is actually a harder to answer question than you might think. I already have an ipod touch, a blackberry (ancient one), and a netbook with windows XP on it and a Cybook Gen 3 ebook reader.

Probably my most compelling reason for considering the playbook is the 7" form factor. My netbook is 10"...so why get another device at that size.

7" will fit in my purse so I imagine having the playbook with me all the time. Since I carry a BB I will have tethering and access to the internet. I expect to read email, google reader, a few sites like this one, use flixter (or equivalent), imdb. Those are basic requirements. I also want a good ereader application. I really like stanza on my ipod touch. Something like that would be good.

The thing I love about my ipod touch (besides stanza) is the speed it has. It's instant on, and instantly on the 'net. I don't have that experience with my netbook, and I want it in a tablet.
  • I think my BB and tablet would be "carry in my purse".
  • My ipod touch is beside the couch. I use it for "hey, who's that guy" while watching TV as well as browsing facebook, and email when TV is boring (or too scary).
  • My netbook travels with me, and gets occasional use at home. It has some flakiness with regards to connecting to my home network so it's too annoying to use regularly. I may use the tablet instead of the netbook for travel...but I'm not sure.

Other side benefits to the playbook are that I'm Canadian and so is RIM. I have several friends who work for RIM, including one who works for QNX. Always good to support your friends' employers. And, there may be perks/accessories I can get for cheap.

The scary thing about the playbook is that it's basically an unknown. My QNX employee friend says it's very snappy/responsive so that's good. But apps for it are a complete unknown. Running Android apps is still a rumor and not confirmed. Really the ereader is the app I use the most other than a web browser. If there's a good ereader for the playbook (not counting retailer specific apps) then I'm all set.
rheostaticsfan is offline   Reply With Quote