View Single Post
Old 02-02-2008, 07:38 AM   #8
Gudy
Guru
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Second, if the proficiency rate of readers comparing 2 paragraphs is only 15%, you know where the real work of your teachers needs to be concentrated. A loss of 2% isn't nearly as significant as the fact that the rate is so frickin' low to begin with!
A-fucking-men.

Quote:
That said, I've maintained that an attractive-enough device can bring more people into reading e-books, quite likely as an after-market to follow e-magazines and e-newspapers. If a cellphone proves to be that popular for reading content on the go (the iPhone or iPod touch, for instance), great. I'd guess at a larger device, at least the size of Sony's reader. But the important part is the features people want, combined with the content they want.
Yup. I'm not sure that a phone is actually the device that will get e-books into the mainstream, for the simple reason that screens for reading large amounts of text generally need to be bigger than what is a convenient size for a phone. (Also, I'm not in the habit of taking my phone into bed, but that may be just me.) Still, the iPhone is *almost* that device, and may end up being just good enough. It's a PDA done more or less right, with a phone and an interface that's basically all screen real estate. Maybe the right way is something like a phone with a roll-out flexible e-ink screen like the Readius, although that solution feels slightly clunky to me, conceptually speaking.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote