View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 11:53 AM   #3
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
You seem to hint at it but I have not followed the issue with "foreign" apps on Ipads. I gather that apple is planning on taking a cut of sales, of say, Amazon/kindle books. But what if you purchase your books another way - on a computer or phone? Will the ARCHIVE versions of those books be available through apps on the ipad at no additional cost/premium? Can one use the ipad's browser and purchase from Amazon and avoid this issue or do they still get a cut of the sale?

Hopefully, if this is not something you know, others can answer or speculate.

And I apologize if this appears to be a hijack.
No problem, it's a fair question, since it's at the base of my reservations about buying the iPad 2. Essentially Apple has rules about in application purchases, before the Sony app was refused, these rules were not enforced, so you can, for instance, buy a Kindle book using Amazon's Kindle App. However, as Sony found out, Apple is not letting through new applications, and is giving everyone else until the end of June to come into compliance. The restrictions are basically, as I understand them, that:
  1. Apps cannot directly link or bypass the Apple Store for in-application purchases
  2. You also cannot bring up or reference a Web URL to avoid the Apple Store
  3. You cannot mark up your prices for going through the Apple application store (your price must match the Apple price)

There's some more information and discussion at the links I provided originally, and at:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/03...ative_to_ipad/

which talks about Amazon's situation, possible responses.

Since part of what I want to insure in my Tablet purchase, is that I can read eBooks from the widest selection of eBook providers. Minimally this would include Amazon and the ePub variants. And as it stands today, the iPad is not a bad choice for that, Kindle App, ePub, Apples iBook store, etc. But, down the road, these format and application store wars look to fragment that. My concern is that if I bought an iPad 2, I might eventually not be able to read Kindle books there. Hopefully it's not going to devolve that far.
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote