View Single Post
Old 03-21-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
pwjone1
Bookie
pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwjone1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Tablets that support Kindle, ePub, in Color

I am trying hard to convert all of my book purchases to eBooks, but I'm running into a couple of problems, mostly needing a bigger screen and color, than my Kindle (2) provides. Not that there's anything wrong with my Kindle, it's great for fiction, would definitely still keep it, but partly the Tablet would be for the stuff that needed a bigger screen and color (Text Books, PDFs, stuff with a lot of pictures, Art books, etc.). I'd also not like to be locked into a format or particular DRM scheme. Knowing that the Apple iPad 2 was out soon, I waited, and the device is very nice, comes very close to meeting requirements,

Nice that they improved it with better battery life and made it lighter.

But the potential restrictions by Apple on eBook sales, see:

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121838

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119422

kind of has me spooked. I would be using the Tablet for more than reading books, but conversely I would not buy one if it couldn't do that. The iPad, before the tussle with Sony, had looked to me as a reasonable platform for convergence. Pretty much supported all of the formats, via apps, and OK, having to use different apps to look at different books was a bit kludgey, but it was something I could live with. And truthfully, I suppose I could bookmark the various Kindle and B&N buy-an-eBook web sites, so if they had to drop the book buying interface from the Apple App Store requirements, that's maybe not totally insurmountable.

http://mediacenter.motorola.com/Pres...ates-3612.aspx

I suppose I could switch to the Motorola Xoom, the wi-fi version is available very shortly, and since it's Android based, it seems a little more open. Problem is that Apple has such a head start on the marketplace, probably going to be another year or so before Android catches up. Still, I would figure to own one of these 2-3 years, minimum, and Android will eventually catch up, it's just a matter of time (they've already passed iPhone in the number of phones being sold), supply and demand.

Any other alternatives out there worth considering? Thoughts on the trade-offs?

Basic requirements would be:
  • Color Screen
  • Reasonable Size (bigger = better) screen
  • Wi-Fi support
  • Support for as many eBook Formats as possible (Kindle, ePub, PDF,...)
pwjone1 is offline   Reply With Quote