View Single Post
Old 03-18-2011, 04:13 AM   #8
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!Manichean My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitsimple View Post
Q. The relevant tweak here is "Author sort name algorithm", what is that currently set to?
A. if i go into tweaks and click on "Author sort name algorithm" it shows author_sort_copy_method = 'invert'
Depending on what you want your authors field to look like, this can be the right or wrong setting. If you want your authors to be listed as "Firstname Lastname" and sort by last name, you won't have to change anything. If you want your authors to be listed as "Lastname, Firstname" and sort by last name, though, you should set the tweak to "copy", restart Calibre and then start editing your book information (= metadata) to your liking.

Quote:
Q. Your authors field should contain the authors name
A. is authors field in tweaks ? or in the left hand pane in authors ? or do you mean the authors field column in the library list ?
No, the authors and author_sort fields are the metadata fields containing the author info. In the normal library view, half of the info is presented in the authors column, the author_sort field is normally invisible. Try selecting one of your book entries and hit the E button (or select "edit metadata" from the toolbar), and another window should open up that allows you to edit your metadata in both the author and author_sort columns, amongst others. After you've set the authors field to either "Firstname Lastname" or "Lastname, Firstname", depending on what you like (and set the tweak accordingly, see above), remember to set the author_sort field for that book. There's a button that lets Calibre do that automatically for the book you're currently editing- it's the one between the authors and author_sort fields on the righthand side. If all went well, you should have "Lastname, Firstname" in the author_sort field for Calibre to sort on author last name.

Quote:
Q. This sounds like it is the root of your problem: Calibre isn't designed to manage author names, series numbers and tags all in the authors metadata field. You should split that data up into the respective fields it belongs in. The authors field sorts on an extra column called author_sort, which is probably somewhat messed up because of the rather random content of your authors metadata field as you described below.
A. ok so the metadata could place my authors by first name first or first name last and also with a series number, which seems to have occurred but how do i split up the data "into respective fields it belongs in"
Open up the edit metadata dialog window like I described above. That should allow you access to all metadata fields. Then copy the series information into the series metadata field etc.

Last edited by Manichean; 04-01-2011 at 03:40 AM. Reason: fixed small error
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote