View Single Post
Old 03-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #8659
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Oh. My. I read this YEARS ago in paperback (my mom had it) and ADORED it. I had forgotten all about it until just now when you mentioned it. I HAVE to have this...
Awesome. I love it when readers get reunited with long-lost loved books. If you think you can hold out for a few months, there's probably a good chance that Gypsy Shadow Publishing, who's e-republishing most of Elizabeth Ann Scarborough's backlist, will participate in one of those Smashwords seasonal sales and offer 25% off their entire catalogue again (they also offer 25% for new buyers direct from their website, but they're PDF-only over there).

Thanks to you and BearMountainBooks also for the Vicky Bliss series reading order. Happily, the book I checked out last week is 2nd in the series so I can get started on it once I've finished at least one other required reading thing so I'm not completely slacking off my classes.

Speaking of which, finished reading Cleopatra 7.2 by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough, sequel to Channeling Cleopatra. It turns out that these books were actually published by the Ace/Berkley imprint, and not a small press as I'd thought.

A nicely-done continuation of the story started there, with the personalities of famous historical figures being combined with those of donor hosts, and various corporate/ideological interests trying to take advantage of/stop the people involved for various reasons, and said people's attempts to thwart them.

This one goes a step further by having one of the historical personalities bond with two different hosts, and showing how the resulting blends are similar and differ, with alternate viewpoint narration being provided by one of the Cleopatras and her observations on the contrast between ancient and modern worlds (the rest of the book is 3rd person POV).

Tends a little towards the fantasy side towards the end, with the worldwide megaconspiracy and who's hinted at actually being behind it, but otherwise a nice light mildly thriller-ish sf-based action adventure caper. With bonus archaeology.

Mildly recommended if you're fond of such and have read the first book. Because you'd be kind of lost if you hadn't.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote