My concern about splitting the map wasn't technical, it was about the user experience of trying to mentally combine the two. Given other concerns, I decided to go ahead and try a test conversion with split maps. I did it with tablet setting (no scaling). The result:
- In Calibre viewer, it looks very nice, with each map section filling one page and a title line on the same page, no spurious blank pages.
- On my Sony 700, each jpg nicely fills the screen. But the title lines show on separate pages from the map images.
- In ADE for PC, the titles are separated and I see only a portion of each image. There seems no way to scroll down to see the rest of the image. Not good.
- In Nook for PC, same as ADE. I don't have a Nook, so I don't know if that's just because the desktop software sucks.
- In Sony PC software, the title line separates, but I can scroll the image down to see the whole thing.
Haven't tried doing a Mobi/Kindle yet. And have no idea what it'll look like on an iPad.
Obviously, I would like to find a compromise setting that works on as many devices as possible. Any suggestions on changes that might help?