View Single Post
Old 03-14-2011, 06:04 PM   #8630
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1
Finished Elizabeth Peters' Borrower of the Night, 1st in the Vicky Bliss series which was a rather good read.

Though it started off somewhat slowly (at certain points I was pretty blank on exactly what the characters were doing and why because I'd vaguely skimmed the library catalogue blurb and couldn't remember what the book was supposed to be about) it did pick up and become a quite entertaining untangling the aristocratic family mystery/historical treasure hunt novel.

It was almost a non-murder mystery, which was fairly refreshing, given that I was expecting the characters to trip over and/or provide freshly-killed corpses every few chapters the way that most mysteries consider de rigueur*.

Fun enough for me to pick up the other books from the library (I currently have 2 more out and will shortly figure out which comes where in the series, something that HC has not seen fit to print in the front of the book, so I guess I'll be comparing copyright dates). I should mention that the PDF e-book edition of this had a small number of typos, which must be rather irritating for people who paid for that version and can't fix them short of copy-pasting hand-assembed replacement images of the "corrected" text on top of the mistakes.

Incidentally, this seems to mark the halfway mark for the 100 books in 2011 challenge for me. The list says it's #50 of the new reads (re-reads I mark with roman numerals or alphabetical suffixes, depending on whether I do them in paper or e-).

* Some authors seem to think that the sleuthiness of their sleuth is judged by the size of his/her inadvertent body count. Bonus points if extra people were killed because they were getting too close to the truth.

Doubleplus bonus points if the killer who seems about to get away with it all due to a lack of concrete evidence is accidentally killed by the sleuth who's just figured everything out and stupidly gone to accuse the killer without proper backup while the killer is trying to kill the sleuth to get rid of the final piece of evidence.

Last edited by ATDrake; 03-14-2011 at 06:06 PM. Reason: 50th book of the year.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote