View Single Post
Old 03-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #8608
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1
Going through my Read an E-book Week Smashwords specials to decide which, if any, sequels to get.

Finished Elizabeth Ann Scarborough's The Drastic Dragon of Draco, Texas, one of her previously printed 80s backlist books which I freely admit I just picked up because there was a dragon involved, according to the blurb and cover art. It turned out to be a fairly funny comedic period fantasy, with a re-awakened alien dragon god raiding cattle in the Wild West and expecting sacrifice, though not of the sort you might expect.

Scarborough's use of dialect is much more tolerable in this book than in The Godmother's Apprentice. More naturalistic use of quaint folksy vocabulary and fewer teeth-gritting phonetic misspellings to indicate "foreign" speechifying.

Fun light mock-western fantasy romp, mildly recommended if you like such (a bit reminiscent of Alan Dean Foster's Mad Amos stories, come to think of it). I enjoyed it enough to go and buy the sequel in my 2nd batch of Smashwords purchases this afternoon after skimming the sample, which seems to set things up promisingly.

Currently moved on to Scarborough's Channeling Cleopatra, which seems to be a relatively newly written small-press book about using genetic material to recreate the personalities of famous historical personages within donor hosts.

Mildly interesting so far, but not really grabbing me. Unless it becomes very compelling within the next few chapters, I think I'll leave off getting the follow-up until the next round of sales.
ATDrake is online now   Reply With Quote