View Single Post
Old 03-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
I'm wondering how much this reflects the power of the traditional Brick and Mortar product placement.

Everybody I know here that owns a PanDigital picked it up, almost on impulse, while shopping at places at Bed Bath Beyond or Kohls etc. Then they got it home and realized it "isn't a Kindle, but it works." For most of them, who read probably a book or month or so, it works just fine.

I just went to the PanDigital Website and they have a banner there claiming they are in 33,000 retail locations.
Great point!

And actually, I am reading: Web 2.0: A Strategy Guide. That is a great book, not too technical and easy to read, which explains the new wave and marketing success of Web 2.0 website around the globe.

I don't think brick stores are going to disappear but you are just starting to see more and more online impulse buyers or people who don't even visit a brick store and order products online only. This is why B&N and other bookstores are struggling. You need to get a bigger profit and/or sell more, when you have to pay lease, electricity, water and more employees, than just couple of folks who pack merchandise and keep an eye on the Apache web-server and database behind the website.

The downside of buying an ereader online or taking such decision via website, is that the customer cannot feel or play with the product. Amazon and Apple know that very well and that's why they use Target, Best Buy, Walmart, as brick stores, in order to provide that human interaction and real time customer's experience.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote