View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
joeindallas
Enthusiast
joeindallas began at the beginning.
 
Posts: 30
Karma: 10
Join Date: Jan 2011
Device: Kindle 3
chewi,

If you're still looking at this, I got my custom cover to work in a limited way. I used the nation_ke recipe (my recipe collects sports feeds from Dallas teams). The only trouble I had is that I wanted to use a "taller image, but when I deviated from the size of the image they used (597 x 85) my image was auto-shrunk and looked bad. Anyway - hope this helps:

Spoiler:
import os
from calibre import strftime, __appname__, __version__
from calibre.web.feeds.news import BasicNewsRecipe
from calibre.constants import preferred_encoding
from calibre.utils.magick import Image

class AdvancedUserRecipe1295487944(BasicNewsRecipe):


__author__ = 'Joe Dworsky'

title = u'DMN Pro Sports Blogs'
description = 'News from Rangers, Mavericks, and Cowboys'
oldest_article = 7
max_articles_per_feed = 100
language = 'en'
country = 'US'
publication_type = 'newspaper'
publisher = 'none'
category = 'news, sports'
# cover_img_url = 'http://www.nation.co.ke/image/view/-/465228/medRes/33884/-/maxh/85/-/12e8pptz/-/Sunday_Logo.gif'
cover_img_url = 'http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/5519/3x85.jpg'
masthead_url = cover_img_url



no_stylesheets = True
extra_css = '''
h1{text-align:left;font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-weight:bold;font-size:large;}
h2{text-align:left;font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif; font-weight:normal;font-size:small;}
p{text-align:left;font-family:Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif;font-size:small;}
body{text-align:left;font-family:Helvetica,Arial,sans-serif;font-size:small;}
'''

remove_tags = [dict(name='div', attrs={'class':'categoryGroup'})]
remove_tags.append(dict(name = 'div', attrs = {'class': 'archivesGroup'}))
remove_tags.append(dict(name = 'div', attrs = {'class': 'commentbox'}))
remove_tags.append(dict(name = 'div', attrs = {'class': 'cgmtitle'}))
remove_tags.append(dict(name = 'div', attrs = {'class': 'navigation breadcrumb'}))
remove_tags.append(dict(name = 'div', attrs = {'class': 'top-links'}))
remove_tags.append(dict(name = 'div', attrs = {'class': 'entry-footer'}))
remove_tags.append(dict(name = 'div', attrs = {'class': 'blog-body-heading'}))
remove_tags.append(dict(name = 'div', attrs = {'class': 'DMNContentModuleHdr'}))
remove_tags.append(dict(name = 'div', attrs = {'class': 'DMNContentModuleHdr1'}))
remove_tags.append(dict(name = 'div', attrs = {'class': 'slcgm_metadata cgminfo'}))
remove_tags.append(dict(name = 'div', attrs = {'class': 'groupHeadline-spt'}))
remove_tags.append(dict(name='img'))
remove_tags.append(dict(name = 'div', attrs = {'class': 'comments'}))

feeds = [(u'Rangers RSS', u'http://rangersblog.dallasnews.com/index.xml'), (u'Mavericks RSS', u'http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/index.xml'), (u'Cowboys RSS', u'http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/index.xml')]

def get_cover_img_url(self):
return getattr(self, 'cover_img_url', None)

def _download_cover_img(self):
# hack to reuse download_cover
old_cu = None
try:
old_cu = self.get_cover_url()
except:
pass
new_cu = self.get_cover_img_url()
self.cover_url = new_cu
self._download_cover()

outfile = os.path.join(self.output_dir, 'cover_img.jpg')
self.prepare_masthead_image(self.cover_path, outfile)

self.cover_url = old_cu
self.cover_img_path = outfile

def download_cover_img(self):
try:
self._download_cover_img()
self.report_progress(1, _('Downloaded cover to %s') % self.cover_img_path)
except:
self.log.exception('Failed to download cover img')
self.cover_img_path = None

def prepare_cover_image(self, path_to_image, out_path):
img = Image()
img.open(path_to_image)
img.save(out_path)

def default_cover(self, cover_file):
'''
Create a generic cover for recipes that have a special cover img
'''
try:
try:
from PIL import Image, ImageDraw, ImageFont
Image, ImageDraw, ImageFont
except ImportError:
import Image, ImageDraw, ImageFont
font_path = P('fonts/liberation/LiberationSerif-Bold.ttf')
title = self.title if isinstance(self.title, unicode) else \
self.title.decode(preferred_encoding, 'replace')
date = strftime(self.timefmt)
app = '['+__appname__ +' '+__version__+']'

COVER_WIDTH, COVER_HEIGHT = 590, 750
img = Image.new('RGB', (COVER_WIDTH, COVER_HEIGHT), 'white')
draw = ImageDraw.Draw(img)
# Title
font = ImageFont.truetype(font_path, 44)
width, height = draw.textsize(title, font=font)
left = max(int((COVER_WIDTH - width)/2.), 0)
top = 15
draw.text((left, top), title, fill=(0,0,0), font=font)
bottom = top + height
# Date
font = ImageFont.truetype(font_path, 32)
width, height = draw.textsize(date, font=font)
left = max(int((COVER_WIDTH - width)/2.), 0)
draw.text((left, bottom+15), date, fill=(0,0,0), font=font)
# Vanity
font = ImageFont.truetype(font_path, 28)
width, height = draw.textsize(app, font=font)
left = max(int((COVER_WIDTH - width)/2.), 0)
top = COVER_HEIGHT - height - 15
draw.text((left, top), app, fill=(0,0,0), font=font)

# Logo
logo_file = I('library.png')
self.download_cover_img()
if getattr(self, 'cover_img_path', None) is not None:
logo_file = self.cover_img_path
self.report_progress(1, _('using cover img from %s') % logo_file)
logo = Image.open(logo_file, 'r')
width, height = logo.size
# left = max(int((COVER_WIDTH - width)/2.), 0)
# top = max(int((COVER_HEIGHT - height)/2.), 0)
left = max(10, 0)
top = max(150, 0)
img.paste(logo, (left, top))
img = img.convert('RGB').convert('P', palette=Image.ADAPTIVE)
img.convert('RGB').save(cover_file, 'JPEG')
cover_file.flush()
except Exception, e:
self.log.exception('Failed to generate default cover ', e)
return False
return True

joeindallas is offline   Reply With Quote