Thread: User Categories
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 09:48 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesscat View Post
How could you use it to create a top 100 list for your books, since you can't add individual books to a user category? Wouldn't you have to do this with tags - e.g., by creating a top-100 tag and then add that tag to the category (or maybe top-10 and top-50 and top-100 tags and adding all those to the category?).

I had been thinking about using user categories to gather together my favorite books - but unless I've tagged them as favorites (in which case I could conceivably just use a search or a quick click in the tag browser, at least if I have just one "favorites" tag), there's no way I can see to do that.
My guess is that hierarchical tags would work better for tracking individual books. For example, you could set up a tag structure:
Code:
Favorite
  Mysteries
    English
    Vampire
  Thrillers
    Crime
    Horror
  Space Opera
etc.

These will show in the tag browser as items (in this example, a tag) with a small triangle next to it. Clicking on that triangle will open the item, showing the subitems. You could apply a tag to a book by dragging the book onto an item, or by manually adding it using the full item name Favorite.Mysteries.English etc. In the tag browser you can search for Favorites by clicking on (you guessed it) Favorite. You can search for any subitem by clicking on that subitem.

Hierarchical items are phrases separated by periods, as in Favorite.Mysteries.English or Favorite.Thrillers.Crime. If you want hierarchy in a category, you must enable it by adding the category name (in this example, tags) in preferences -> look & feel -> Categories with hierarchical items.

Hierarchy works in series (series names, not indices), tags, and custom text columns.

Last edited by chaley; 03-07-2011 at 10:10 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote