View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 03:09 AM   #1
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Fan-fiction - Why?

With the advent of the Internet it seems that fan-fiction has really taken off. I am someone that has always avoided it*. I don't have any really good reasons, I've never tried it (reading or writing), it's just never appealed. In general I read by author; with some exceptions, I find that if I really like a book by an author there is a very good chance I will like other books by that author. The idea of picking up the same world or story-line by a different author does not seem apposite, if I am going to experiment with a new author I prefer to start with something totally new.

Anyway, I've noticed on these forums there are a few people that write fan-fiction and a few threads looking to read it, so it seems an appropriate place to ask some questions:

Writers: Why do you write fan-fiction? If you are going to put the effort into writing why spend it something that is not entirely your own?

Readers: What makes you go looking for fan-fiction? Is it just the desperation we all feel when the main book/series is over and we want more ... or is there something else? Do you find much of it to be satisfying? Does it matter to you whether the fan-fiction author is able to emulate the style of the original author(s)?

-----
* The closest I have come to fan-fiction would probably be reading "The Willows in Winter" by William Horwood†, and soon will I read "And Another Thing..." by Eoin Colfer - but in each of these cases these are authors I already like (very much) from other books.

† While "The Willows in Winter" was well done, it was - in my opinion - still not up to what Kenneth Grahame created.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote