I'm compiling an .epub with a large number of images, named 001.jpg, 002.jpg, etc. I add them to the ebook using the "Insert Image" button in Sigil. Nearly 100 images in, I've noticed that Sigil has renamed the images!
For example, I have an image named "027.jpg". After I've added it to my .epub, it has been renamed to "028.jpg" in the "Images" folder inside the ePub file. In the corresponding .xhtml file, it links to the renamed file.
So, in the end, the correct image is displayed. However, it's throwing off my organizing! The example above is one of the earlier discrepancies. Later on, however, it gets worse, with the number off by several digits (079.jpg is now 086.jpg, etc.)
Anyone have any idea what's going on?
Okay, I think I understand why this happened. When inserting images, there were more than a few instances where no image showed up in the Book View, so I simply clicked "Insert Image" and added the same pic again. Apparently, even when the image doesn't appear in Book View, it has still been added to the "Images" folder. So Sigil renames the duplicate by simply adding "1" to it. When another image with the same name is added, Sigil adds "1" again. So, 027.jpg keeps its name the first time and gets renamed to 028.jpg when I add it again. When I add the real 028.jpg, it's renamed to 029.jpg, and so on and so forth...
Now to the annoying and grueling task of removing the duplicates, renaming the files and fixing the links... 75 times.