View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #24
brbubba
Connoisseur
brbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enoughbrbubba will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
Well, over here (Sweden) I'm guessing authors would protest loudly if anything like this would be implemented. Over here the author gets a couple of cents (or whatever the amount is) every time a book is checked out from a library. They want their books to be read gazillions of times, and they know that it people borrow their books at the library (whatever format) they are likely to pick up THEIR book before others at the airport, in the beach bookshop or wherever.
And, for what it's worth, USA isn't the world and English isn't the only language in the world. Outside of US eBooks ar bought in lots of bookstores that have nothing whatsoever to do with Amazon or B&N or Borders. EPub is the dominating format, so readers supporting ePub will defininately still be the preferred option internationally.
That sounds like a much better system. Make the ePub's free to the library and then pay the author a few cents everytime it's checked out.

Big publishers are a dying breed and at this point just clinging on to dear life, much like the music industry did, and much like the movie industry did. This move is only going to force people to pirate books more. The eBook situation at my local library is absurd, almost every single title is always checked out. Makes me wonder what the point of having eBooks is.
brbubba is offline   Reply With Quote