View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 03:27 PM   #6
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, Droid Razr Maxx HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I wonder just how many library books are read on eBook readers? I suspect it is a VERY small percentage compared to paid and free eBooks. Most libraries don't have much of an eBook selection and many have none. I checked into the selection several months ago and found nothing I cared to read. Polls that have been conducted in these forums tend to show a huge disappointment in the availability (or unavailability) of library eBooks.

My guess is that library eBooks will have little impact on the sales of readers capable of reading them.
While it might be a small percentage (or might not), the ability to easily borrow ebooks from the library is a very important factor for many people when choosing an ereader. You can see that just by the number of people making that point in the "Which one should I buy?" topics.

I wouldn't say that library ebooks aren't popular either. Clevnet has more ebooks than anyone else at the moment, 21,000 or so. From my own experience, I can tell you there are often long waiting lists for books, even for obscure and not very popular titles. If a book is hot you could be waiting months for it to become available. I can see a really popular title expiring before I even get a chance to borrow it.

Even though I own a Kindle, I'm not anti-Sony or any other reader (except the iPad). So, I'm hoping this won't have a lot of impact, but I think it might. We'll have to see if the practice spreads and how libraries and Overdrive respond.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote