View Single Post
Old 01-22-2008, 12:25 AM   #8
Gabey8
Gabey8 began at the beginning.

Device: OLPC XO-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
If you were to use it strictly for an eBook reader how long will the battery last?

Dale
I'm not sure. But I'm going to hold off just a bit before I experiment with this question, as there's supposed to be a software upgrade available this month that offers improved power management.

Having said that, I have gotten at least five hours out of the battery when operating the XO with the backlight off... however, that's with the radio (wifi) on. I haven't experimented with turning off the wifi and backlight, but that's mostly because I keep alternating between reading, surfing, blogging, etc. (Like right now, for instance, when I have an ebook in one window and a browser in another. ) I know that's less battery life than a dedicated ebook reader gets, but the tradeoff is that the XO is spending that battery energy doing tasks that a dedicated ebook device doesn't do (or need to do).

Once the software/firmware upgrades are released, I'll experiment with battery life and be better able to answer your question.
Gabey8 is offline   Reply With Quote