View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 03:49 PM   #51
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
So ... a library has a specific budget for acquisitions. It can get e-books with unlimited circulation, or it can get HC e-books that will expire after a year or so. Which is it more likely to buy with its limited funds?

Is HC thinking they'll make more money this way? I can't see they'll make it from the libraries. Only way they will is if people buy the book instead of using the library--but will that really happen? I think this scheme is just nuts.

Well, I don't think it'll last long if they care about library sales (big IF?), unless they get most other big publishers to go along with it (Agency pricing ring any bells?).

In which case I see libraries seeking out more niche publishers and offering many fewer new books.

I totally agree this may push up library loans of HC paper books. It would probably be my first choice to replace my e-borrowing.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote