View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #1
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Device: N800/Nokia 5230/PB IQ701/PB 360
You helped me once, could you do it again?

Dear friends,

Thanks to a post here and your advice I got myself a PB IQ 701 which I love - so thanks a lot for that! However, I also got a second ereader, one in which I placed great hopes, but ended up finding a mix of good and bad: the JetBook mini. And since, to make things worse, the 'support' at Ectaco is nothing short of Kafkaesque, I would appeal for your expertise once more.

I wanted a small ereader which I could read in the sunlight and in brightly lit rooms. I did not need a large or color screen, but I did hope for a crisp, high contrast screen which would 'feel' as book-like as possible (The JB mini's screen is very nice, but it is also way too dark, not white like a page, but a weird kind of gold in color.). I want neither wifi nor any other capabilities other than book reading. The one thing which I loved with the JB mini is that it runs on AAA batteries. I would like to get a unit which would have either a long-lived battery inside or which would run on regular batteries I could get in a store.

After my disappointment with the JB mini I suppose that I need to get a unit with either e-paper or e-ink (I don't really understand the difference). But what I don't want is ghosting or a noticeable amount of flicker on page turns.

Furthermore, I don't want any DRM capabilities, and I don't need many built-in formats: the ones I use most are, in order, epub, fb2 and txt.

Lastly, and this does matter a lot to me, I want to by a decent to good quality product from a company which does stand behind its units and which cares about its customers.

Is there such an ebook reader out there? Should I go for e-ink or e-paper? Which is the highest, most book-like, quality of screen?

Thanks in advance,

Farhad
Farhad is offline   Reply With Quote