View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 05:25 AM   #5
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Despite what many might think, fruits are anything but vacant of calories. Dried fruit tend to be worse because the main weight(water) is gone.

So I don't think it's surprising that this oatmeal variant has so many calories.
Of course, they also sweeten it additionally. But I doubt that their additions are the main reason for the high sugar content.

What exactly does "chemical and/or unecessary" mean? Just because it's chemical doesn't mean it's bad. Just as being organic doesn't make it healthy.
I'd never drink organic juice of Atropa belladonna. Nor am I going to guzzle down WD40.
Both are going to be bad for me, but only one would be "chemical".

Generalizations doesn't help. Especially when dealing with food.

Too bad that blog didn't specify just what "11 weird ingredients you would never keep in your kitchen." are supposed to be.

I took a look at the McD site and didn't really find anything that'd surprise me.
I agree that hardly anyone would have them in the kitchen, but that doesn't mean anything. Food prepared in the kitchen isn't supposed to stay 100% fresh for days and/or be completely free of any germs - and still look perfect.

Here's the ingredient list:
Quote:
Originally Posted by McD oatmeal ingredients
Ingredients (Allergen statement in ALL CAPS.)Back To Top

Oatmeal without Brown Sugar
Whole grain rolled oats, food starch-modified, maltodextrin, natural flavor (plant source), barley malt extract, caramel color.

Cranberry Raisin Blend
Dried sweetened cranberries (sugar, cranberries), California raisins, golden raisins, sunflower oil, sulfur dioxide (preservative).

Diced Apples
Apples, calcium ascorbate (a blend of calcium and vitamin C to maintain freshness and color).

Light Cream
Milk, cream, sodium phosphate, datem, sodium stearoyl lactylate, sodium citrate, carrageenan.

CONTAINS: MILK.
There's few in there that I'd consider suspicious. Modified starch by virtue of not being more descriptive of course.
Sodium Stearoyl lactylate sounds horrible but doesn't look too bad if you look it up in Wikipedia.

I had to look up "datem" too, but found it's the same stuff you find almost anywhere in processed food.

--

In case anyones still reading: I'm not saying this stuff is good. Or that McD does the right thing by selling THAT as healthy.
But just because it's from McD or processed food doesn't mean it's going to kill us all.
I would welcome more strict rules for advertising. As it is, I'm glad they (have to) provide complete lists of what they're putting into the stuff.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote