View Single Post
Old 02-22-2011, 05:47 PM   #7
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
It is possible to connect your nook to a phone, I currently tether my nook to my Vibrante(Galaxy S) phone all the time. However the answer is a bit more complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by da2zoe View Post
So...I would like to tether my NC to my Samsung Fascinate if possible. I've done some Google searches on this so I believe it's doable but I need step-by-step instructions. Does my phone need to be rooted, too?

The only possible way to connect a nook to a network is through WI-FI. That would mean that you would have to use "Mobile AP" to tether your phone to any WI-FI enabled device.

This feature was provided by Google on the 2.2(Froyo) platform. Since the Fascinate is still on 2.1 you do not have this option.

Rumor has it that Verizon/Samsung has 2.2 for the Fascinate in the works and Mobile AP will be part of the update. The bad news is they plan to add an additional $15.. or is it $20 for this feature. As it stands today both Sprint and Verizon offer Mobile AP for some of their 2.2 phones but charge for this feature. T-Mobile does not charge for this features.

Most Galaxy S phones are still stuck on 2.1, Vibrant/Fascinate included. What I did was to upgrade my phone by flashing a new ROM. My primary motivate for flashing the ROM was not for Mobile AP, but because the Vibrant was very unstable. I was rebooting my phone every two days and the GPS did not work. One of the added benefits was that the ROM I picked also had Mobile AP as part of the package. I love this feature, tethering has never been easier. Last night my wife and I where at a hotel. I tethered both my nook and my laptop(for her) both on my phone. The speed was excellent and we experienced no lag.

The bad news is that it ROMing a phone is a bit more complicated than rooting a nook and requires a few more steps. Not only do you have to root your phone, you also have to select a ROM, then install the ROM. The whole process took me 4 hrs this includes researching, Rooting, downloading the ROM, and installing the ROM.

Executive Summary
Okay in case I lost you above here are the options in short.
1) Wait until the Fascinate is updated and pay $15/$20 additionally a month.
2) Root/ROM your phone.
3) Convince your friends husband to give you access
4) Do nothing.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote