View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 04:55 AM   #12
Wes Sterling
Wes Sterling began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
When you finish a book and use Amazon, they prepare memorization flash cards for everyone to place their notes and highlights in memory.

In addition, all books in Project Gutenberg are available free from Amazon. Every book published prior to 1924 is free.

Finally, you can send private publications from professors as an email to your Amazon account and they will convert it to Amazon format and send it back to your Kindle account free. PDF's do not work good however. Word documents are converted just fine.
All valid points, however, I really like to keep things as simple as possible. If I can download something straight to my Kindle once I stumble upon it, that beats having to open my mail client (or gmail), mail it to myself, then wait for it to arrive. Actually, to mail it I have to attach it, which means I already downloaded it anyway. Former takes a couple of clicks and about 15-20 seconds. Latter takes a couple of minutes.

I usually convert my PDFs with OCR software. Since I study computer and information science there is quite a lot of equations and pictures thrown in alongside text. I get the best results by manually going through the document and marking text/pictures. Once it's converted it doesn't really make much sense to mail it to myself through Amazon.
Wes Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote