View Single Post
Old 02-17-2011, 04:52 PM   #30
PoP
xyzzy A̅ ͐=B̅ ͐C̅ ͐
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3.₄, PRS-350, SGS3, Rπ, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubaaron View Post
.[snip]...
However, now all I get is a blank screen (with titlebar displaying "KindleTerm") with a cursor and a "c" character at top left. I can move the cursor around, and type, but not much interactive seems to be going on.

I suspect maybe I don't have telnetd running?

I installed the usbNetwork hack and can ssh in, and I've also been using @lrizzo's fabulous "myts.arm" for a terminal as well ... I guess I assumed those would include telnetd. Maybe I'm wrong?

How do I start telnetd? Hmm doing a find on my kindle for telnetd comes up with no results ...

EDIT/UPDATE:
I applied the changes to the security policy file as noted in the original post (NB: need to "mntroot rw" first, and then "mntroot ro" when done), and now it seems to work.

Though for whatever reason it didn't draw the whole screen. I had to type in a few commands first and then magically the screen output appeared -- the "c" that I originally got is from the "Connecting ..." line at top.

So it seems telnetd must be running. Perhaps my find command syntax was off. I still do a "find . -name 'telnetd'" and nothing comes up. Hmm.
...[snip]
Well, I have the same symptoms. hawhil's KindleTerm cannot telnet to localhost on my Kindle because there is no telnetd process running though I have usbNetwork v0.30n up and alive. The Kindlet stays on "Connecting to 127.0.0.1".

I SSHed over the wifi interface and asked BusyBox :

Quote:
[root@kindle /]# busybox
BusyBox v1.7.2 (2010-10-10 13:35:11 PDT) multi-call binary
Copyright (C) 1998-2006 *Erik Andersen, Rob Landley, and others.
Licensed under GPLv2. *See source distribution for full notice.

Usage: busybox [function] [arguments]...
or: [function] [arguments]...

BusyBox is a multi-call binary that combines many common Unix
utilities into a single executable. Most people will create a
link to busybox for each function they wish to use and BusyBox
will act like whatever it was invoked as!

Currently defined functions:
[, [[, addgroup, adduser, adjtimex, ash, awk, basename, bunzip2, bzcat, cat, chgrp,
chmod, chown, chpasswd, chroot, clear, cmp, cp, crond, crontab, cut, date, dd,
delgroup, deluser, df, dirname, dmesg, du, echo, env, expr, false, fbset, fdisk,
fgrep, find, freeramdisk, getty, grep, gunzip, gzip, head, hexdump, hostname,
hwclock, id, ifconfig, ifdown, ifup, install, ip, kill, killall, klogd, less,
ln, logger, login, logname, losetup, ls, makedevs, md5sum, mkdir, mkfifo, mknod,
mktemp, more, mv, nc, netstat, nice, nslookup, passwd, pidof, ping, pipe_progress,
pivot_root, printf, pwd, rdate, readlink, realpath, renice, reset, rm, rmdir,
route, run-parts, sed, seq, sh, sleep, sort, start-stop-daemon, stat, strings,
stty, su, sync, tail, tar, tee, telnet, test, time, touch, tr, traceroute, true,
tty, udhcpc, uname, uniq, unzip, uptime, usleep, vi, wc, wget, which, who, whoami,
xargs, yes, zcat
...only the telnet client, no telnetd daemon.

Like yourself I have applied the security policies and myts.arm works fine. Also VDP's original KindleTerm can ssh to localhost.

All I can think is that the telnet daemon has been removed from this version of usbNetwork. But then you said your KindleTerm started to work at some point ... I wonder what triggered it?
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote