View Single Post
Old 02-16-2011, 10:12 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by comox View Post
I have a hunch that the cause of the problem is a memory leak. The time required to convert an epub to mobi can vary from a minute to several hours. I observe with Windows Task Manager that memory usage by calibre-parallel.exe increases constantly while the thread is running.
It is definitely not a memory leak.

Everything you describe except the crashes are normal. The ePubs that take forever inevitably have their origin as a MS Word doc that was saved as html without being filtered. We are aware of these and they don't have a history of crashing, just taking forever to complete. Some have reported 24 hours, the longest I've seen is 6-7 hours.

Quote:
I suspect this will be very easy to reproduce. Just find an epub that is slow to convert and watch what happens with Windows Task Manager
Increasing memory is normal for conversions the longer they take.

Quote:
Is there anyone out there that has successfully converted several hundred epubs to mobi via batch convert in the last month or two?

I think I am observing a repeatable bug but will revise my view if others are not seeing it.
I am also running calibre 0.7.45 on Win XP dual core system. I just converted 300 ePubs to Mobi without incident.

I have the following settings

Waiting worker processes : 4
Job Priority : Low
Calibre library exempted from Anti-virus scanning.
Calibre configuration folder exempted from A/V scanning.

I believe the problems you're experiencing are unique to your system. Look at what other programs/processes are running. Did you add anything new to the startup in the last 3 months?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote