As of Calibre 0.8 this plugin is deprecated and will no longer work. Instead you should use the replacement Goodreads Metadata Source plugin which is compatible with Calibre 0.8 onwards.
This plugin allows Calibre to download book covers from goodreads.com
. Calibre currently comes with plugins for a number of cover sources such as OpenLibrary.org and most recently Amazon. Adding this plugin can potentially increase the likelihood of getting a cover for your book.
It is the second of a Goodreads trinity of plugins I will publish in this forum. The other two are for Goodreads metadata downloads
and shelve syncing.
Main Features of v1.1.1
- Downloads a cover where available on Goodreads for books with an ISBN.
- Handles broken image urls on Goodreads website
- Like the other Calibre covers plugins this will only attempt to find covers for a book which has an ISBN. This is a limitation of the current Calibre API. I have added code to do title/author searches like the Goodreads metadata download plugin, but it is disabled until/if the API is changed.
- Kovid intends in future to make breaking changes to the API. When he publishes that new version, this plugin will stop working. Check back here for updates over the next month or so.
- Download the attached zip file and install the plugin as described in the Introduction to plugins thread.
- Note that this is not a GUI plugin so it is not intended/cannot be added to context menus/toolbars etc.
- You can enable/disable and configure both it and the other metadata download plugins like Amazon, Google Books etc in Preferences -> Plugins -> Covers plugins