View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 06:18 PM   #8278
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1
Re-read Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Sword of Aldones which I picked up at a dirt-cheap price when Fictionwise had their wishlist sale with the bonus 50% off coupon last month. E-book edition marred by missing quotation marks and the occasional typo, but otherwise okay.

It's interesting to see how much Darkover has evolved from its initial beginnings (apparently Bradley wrote the core of this when she was 16 or so) and I'm glad she decided to rethink and reimagine the mythos* in later years when she wrote The Heritage of Hastur and rewrote TSoA as Sharra's Exile, which is far superior.

* Speaking of mythos, one day I want to see the inevitable Darkover/Lovecraft + Chambers mashup where the Comyn have their noses rubbed in the likelihood that the heritage of "Hastur" may not be as benign as they think, much less the possible actual activities of Cassilda, Camilla, and Alar strolling around the cloud-waves of Lake Hali. Preferably with the rubbing done by horrified Terranan scholars of ancient Earth lore who are probably part of a secret society to stave off the stars being right.

After all, the Ridenow were specially bred to communicate with extradimensional entities, no? And the rest of the domains said to be descended from the (elder) gods and the Ages of Chaos a time of great evil and time warping?

Well, if anyone knows of one, karma if you can point me to it.

Also read Ruth Downie's Persona Non Grata: A Novel of the Roman Empire, 3rd in her Gaius Petreius Ruso ancient Roman Britain murder mystery series.

This one's not actually set in Britain, as Ruso goes home to Gaul to deal with problems besetting his family (which have been strong background element to previous volumes), whom we finally meet. Frankly, I am amazed that the inevitable murder did not occur among them, because if I were Ruso, I'd be strongly tempted to exercise my power of paterfamilias and strangle them all.

Anyway, another entertaining adventure with interesting historical notes in the back, although I could have lived without
Spoiler:
the sudden religious conversion of one of the major supporting characters who then apparently begins to attribute practices and successes to the new deity
. But as long as they don't treat this development with preachy zeal in future books I guess it'll turn out okay.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote