View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo aura HD, Kobo Arc, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 , Kindle for PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by obarz View Post
Hello,

I know the traditions of printed book pages inside out. Along with being a professional book designer, I have spent my life as a publisher with special focus on book production--design, typesetting, printing and binding.

My present study involves creating ebooks that look and flow in a manner that mimics the expectation that a reader of an ebook has learned from having absorbed the tradition of hundreds of years of book design development.

guess what - technology just made you about as as useful as a blacksmith, or a man who knew how to slot hot lead letters into a rack...

there's not a lot of demand for typesetting ,printing & binding skills in the e-book world, actually.

I had a John Bull printing kit from Woolworths (UK) when I was a Kid - lots of letters on black rubber squares, a wooden block to slot them into & some ink - wonderful stuff but the world has moved on now.... the days when book prouction ground to a halt because you'd dropped the last "F" & couldn't not find it are over, thankfully

I think the makers of John Bull (UK) printing kits met the same fate as the owners of Woolworths

so to sum up -
isn't that look n feel stuff already sorted & put to bed -

what's wrong with how ebooks look already ???

( we can quibble about pros & cons of indents vs blank lines - have been doin so for most of the day on the sigil board actually, but anyone with a bit of nous can make their ebooks look exactly as they'd like them to look already )

& what's your "reader expectations" stuff all about - the average reader just wants their e-book to look like .... a book.... - but with real page numbers , if you go read the Kindle board!

its just words on a screen, in a readable layout - not rocket science.

that's enough troll feeding for today.

Last edited by cybmole; 02-14-2011 at 04:10 PM.
cybmole is online now   Reply With Quote