View Single Post
Old 02-14-2011, 03:35 AM   #2
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
DONT !

- there is a way to delete it - I did it & will explain below, but it has side effects.

that book is there in case you ever install Kindle for PC or Kindle for i-gadgets. It will then install to those apps so that you have a working dictionary in those installs. A. do not explain that - it took a lot of forum thread reading to understand that point.

IF you delete it my going to manage my kindle page & finding it in orders history, then it will vanish BUT then there is no way back - Amazon CS cannot re-instate it & you lose your dictionary option in any future install of Kindle for....

& all you really achieve is that your kindle says 0 archived items, rather than 1 archived items. you cannot suppress the line that says x archived items, though you can shuffle it to end of list by sorting books on most recent,

I had to go through a hideous workaround ( in another thread ) of create a new amazon account, Dl kindle for PC & set it up with that account. the free dictionary then re-appears in the new amazon / kindle account so you can now get the new american dictionary onto a PC - then get it into Calibre with DRM removed, then register kindle for PC back to my "real" amazon account and transfer the dictionary via USB.
took me 1/2 a day & I'm still not sure how I acheived the remove DRM bit - logically what I think I did should not have worked, even...

the simpler workaround of copy new american ... from an old K for PC install, which was working, to a new K for PC install did not work - book would not open - strongly suggesting there is DRM on the dictionary which locks it to specific installs. & you can't copy the dictionary from Kindle onto a PC because it is in Kindle firmware and inaccessible via USB.

Last edited by cybmole; 02-14-2011 at 03:40 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote