View Single Post
Old 02-13-2011, 10:32 AM   #6
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Guys, what is this about? Can a virus spread via USB flash drive? Is it due to saving an infected file to the new computer? Will you please explain in small words to a non-techie such as myself?

We paid the $130 to Best Buy just this week to have them reformat our computer with the rezubeza virus that nothing else would eliminate. I saved everything to flash drives, but now I am afraid to re-install the files in case they are infected.
Ummm... any virus can be spread via USB flash drive if an infected file is copied to the drive and then copied to a PC running an operating system that the virus is designed to infect. It's not the method of copying the file that is the problem - it's the fact that an infected file remains infected unless it's disinfected by an anti-virus application. Reformatting the hard drive on the PC will clean the PC, but if you then copy an already infected file back onto that PC, you'll simply re-infect that PC.

Best I can suggest is that, after re-installing a clean version of Windows on the PC, you install a good anti-virus program, then use it to scan all of the files on the flash drive(s) you used, so you can get rid of any infected files before copying your stuff back onto the PC.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote