View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 08:27 AM   #13
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
At PDA247 I came aware today that Stéphane Magnenat offers a Perl script for download which is supposed to automatically convert the Wikipedia SQL database to Plucker files.
You can try it, but it won't work so well. You can't take a SQL dump and convert it to clean, usable HTML very easily. I tried this script at first (as well as about 12 other solutions, some of which you mentioned below) and decided it was best to write my own tools to handle the conversion.

Quote:
With those tools, it should be easy to convert the database to any reader format that supports large files (e.g. iSilo). I'll give it a try tonight.
Tero-dump is another mess. I actually tried to work with the author to update it to work with the current Wikipedia, but alas, he wasn't interested, so I dropped that tool as well.

They might work for some though, to convert the flat information to flat information, in a hacky, mostly-broken format, but the only way to do it right, is to make the entire package functionally navigatible, which you can see from my screenshots. It looks and feels exactly like the real thing, minus the front page articles. I rolled my own front end on top, to give it a proper TOC on down.

I've mentioned this before in another post here, but you can see the project pages evolving for these three projects here:
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote