View Single Post
Old 02-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #8135
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1
Stayed up last night to read Elizabeth Ann Scarborough's charming low-key urban fantasy The Godmother, one of my Fictionwise purchases from the recent wishlist discount sale.

The premise is that in an otherwise not-overtly-magical world, fairy godmothers occasionally do intervene to help their charges live happily ever after, but they try to do it in a Granny Weatherwax-style "headology" way. So this was really closer to magical realism and an imaginative mash-up of social services frustrations and fairy tale tropes set in Seattle, which is across the border from me, so it was nice to recognize some of the local placenames.

I liked this a lot and have already sought out the sequels at the library and will also be buying their e-book editions when there's a good sale to bring the price down.

But first I will be finishing Jo Walton's Ha'Penny and Half a Crown, part of her thus-far excellent post-WWII alternate-universe fascist Britain murder mystery/political thriller trilogy which I went specifically to the library to get.

I'll have to say that book 2 is even more enjoyable, since while the detective inspector is the same (and a good mixture of competent and constrained), the "upper-class twit" who supplies the secondary viewpoint this time is a much different and more interesting character who's very definitely based on the Mitford sisters, though I'm not quite sure which one she's supposed to be (barring the obvious exceptions).
ATDrake is online now   Reply With Quote