View Single Post
Old 02-03-2011, 05:18 PM   #8
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
That's a feature I'm really looking for, but I'm wondering about the speed of the process and couldn't find a video of it...Could you give me an approximation of how long you have to wait between the moment you click on the wiki ling when reading a book, and the moment the wiki is displayed ? Is it more like 10 seconds or 2 minutes ? I guess it has to establish a wifi connection if it's not already connected, so I fear the whole process is pretty long.
Well, you need to be connected to wifi for the feature to work. I mean, connected a priori - if you are not, it will just produce an error message, it won't try to connect.

How long it takes to open wikipedia - well, I can't answer that. The only wifi network to which I log in is at my school and every time I try to open wikipedia it brings me to the school's browser login page. I log in, but then it does not re-direct to wikipedia - it just stays on the main page of the browser. If I switch back to the book I was reading and try accessing wikipedia, it brings me back to the login page.

Manually opening wikipedia is pretty fast though. 5-10 seconds, I guess...

But the wifi connectivity and the browser are, overall, very poor. Plenty of problems like what described above. On some networks, it just won't connect. The browser is, well, clunky.

I might be spoiled by my iPad. But if you buy the SONY for web browsing, you will be disappointed.

Downloading content over the SONY store or Google books (wifi only) is pretty nice, on the other side, and so is getting delivery of magazines/newspapers.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote