View Single Post
Old 02-02-2011, 10:25 PM   #8083
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International & Sony PRS-T1
Both the local library within walking distance and the not-so-local library within short public transit distance either being out of shelf copies of the sequels to Jo Walton's Farthing (aargh, they were in at least the last 5 times I was; well, at least they're getting read) or never having had the books at all, I'm back to reading Sherlock Holmes mash-ups until the weekend, when I can make a longer bus trip to one of the other libraries which says they have them on shelf.

Just finished Fred Saberhagen's The Holmes-Dracula File, which is apparently the start of all his Holmes-Dracula team-ups, of which there's quite a series, though it seems that many of them are probably just plain Dracula spin-off books.

Like Séance for a Vampire, which I'd read previously, this one was merely okay. In fact, I found SfaV slightly more interesting, since this one seems mainly set up for the shocking revelation that ends in Holmes and Dracula teaming up from time to time. Since it's such an ahahahahaWHAT sort of "secret", I'll spoiler it right here:

Spoiler:
It turns out that Holmes and Dracula look creepily identical enough to be mistaken for each other because they're related. Oh, and Holmes has an evil twin. Who also happens to be a vampire. But isn't actually Dracula, despite the creepy identicalness. Because the Count is actually Holmes' uncle. Maybe.

Anyway, THDF purports to tell the tale of the Giant Rat of Sumatra, which Conan Doyle hinted at but apparently never wrote up, and as such it's got the usual sort of plot you can expect involving rats and Victorian medicine and blackmailers threatening to disrupt the Queen's Jubilee, along with a couple of guest appearances from the Stoker side of the mashup.

An okay read, but not particularly recommended unless you really enjoy Holmes and Dracula combo spinoffs, or Fred Saberhagen's writing in general, or want to specifically point and laugh at the spoilered stuff above.
ATDrake is online now   Reply With Quote