View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Well, I only hope there will be a way to disable it. In the PDF file. Yes, I mean that I, as a PDF producer, decide what you, as a reader will see.

I think of it this way: Film used to be a 'fixed' presentation, even those with a break somewhere in the middle: that was what the director and editor designed it for. Today, with TV and commercial breaks, it is chopped up into a format that makes the film look bad -- and I think there has been at least one successful lawsuit (by a film directory against a TV channel) against this practice.

Some books are designed in a similar way, especially in PDF. The producer may spend an inordinate amount of time to get end-of-line hyphenations right, much as a film editor will do his utmost to get the timing of cuts right. The book producer will certainly not approve of a reflow introducing new hyphenation-by-algorithm errors. Same thing with avoiding orphans and widows. That is, the producer adds quality that reflow cannot maintain.

Of course, to some readers this doesn't make sense: they do not perceive any quality improvement. That doesn't matter: these readers will go for other versions of the book. But it would be unfortunate if their capability of recognizing quality was taken as the only true guiding star.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote